Catalytic converter symptoms can usually be seen when the said part is malfunctioning. Catalytic converters protect the surrounding environment by reducing the effect of automobile emission generated by the internal combustion engine. This is an important part in every automobile. The catalytic converter will combine the harmful exhaust fumes with oxygen and convert them to less harmful emission by using a catalyst.
At times, the catalytic converter fails due to various reasons. Blocked catalytic converter symptoms include power loss, foul odor, high emission rate and thermal shock.
Bad catalytic converter symptoms:
The catalytic converter symptoms which indicate the failure of the catalytic converter are discussed below:
Power loss: This is one of the catalytic converter symptoms, which is a common occurrence in most automobiles. The reason is fuel leakage, which leads to the fuel burning in the catalytic converter instead of in the engine. This causes overheating which will decrease the engine power.
High emission level: This is one of the clogged catalytic converter symptoms which occur when oil or radiator sealant blocks the flow of the exhaust. This will result in a high amount of carbon deposit in the converter and will prevent it from converting the exhaust emissions.
Foul odor: This catalytic converter symptom will result in large amounts of hydrogen sulfide, which gives out a kind of rotten egg smell. This is caused due to the overheating of the catalytic converter core, which is usually made of ceramic monolith.
Thermal shock: This is one of the catalytic converter symptoms that occur due to overheating. But here, this is caused when the overheated catalytic converter comes in contact with a cooling substance, such as snow. This will result in sudden contraction of the ceramic substrate leading to cracks in the catalytic converter. It produces a rattling noise each time this damaged converter physically comes in contact with anything.
How To Recognize Catalytic Converter Symptoms:
- Power loss catalytic converter symptoms can be recognized, when one tries to accelerate the car up a hill and will notice the drop in the speed of the car.
- Keep the care running and smell the exhaust fumes released. If they smell like rotten eggs, immediately get this converter symptom eliminated, because if gone unnoticed, this will affect the entire converter system.
- Accelerate the automobile to high speed and check the exhaust fumes. If the exhaust smoke is dense white or kind of black, the catalytic converter has failed. This is done to recognize the high level of emission catalytic converter symptoms.
- One of the catalytic converter symptoms is loss of fuel, which can be recognize if your car is using up a lot of fuel than before.
- If you hear any rattling noise under the car, it indicates thermal shock symptom of catalytic converter.
Catalytic converter cleaner: This is used to increase the life expectancy of the catalytic converter by eliminating the catalytic converter symptoms such as foul odor and high emissions. It is poured into the gas tank and works effectively while driving around.It is priced at $12.